Private Rented Sector Landlord Loan - overview
Everything you need to know about the Scottish Government funded loan that helps landlords improve the energy efficiency of their properties and meet minimum standards.
We’ve answered some of the more common questions below and there are also links to important information that you should read before applying. You’ll find more information on our application form but if you have any questions, just give us a call on 0808 808 2282 or arrange for us to chat via email.
Who can apply?
Registered private landlords, acting either as an individual or a business that owns privately rented properties, can apply. Funding is only available for businesses owned:
- by an individual in their capacity as a sole trader
- by some or all of the members of an incorporated association in trust for the association
- by either: a limited company; a limited liability partnership; a trust; a partnership; a registered society under the Co–operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014; or a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation, or
- in any other capacity which Energy Saving Trust or the Scottish Government considers to be a business.
We’ll only accept applications from individuals or official representatives of the business that will own the equipment, materials and property at the time the loan is paid.
We will not accept applications from installers, property developers, letting agents or self-builders.
Still not sure if you can apply? Call us on 0808 808 2282 or complete our email contact form and our advisors will help.
- We will only offer funding to landlords for improvements to domestic dwellings in Scotland which are listed on the Scottish Landlord Register and are not used as a holiday or second home.
- The property must be registered with the Scottish Assessors Association as paying domestic council tax rates.
- The property must already be built – it cannot be under construction.
- Properties must be currently occupied by at least one tenant or will have at least one tenant in place within 30 days of the loan being paid.
What you need to do
- You must contact Home Energy Scotland personally to get impartial advice about your property or properties, which will help decide the best options for you.
- You can only apply using the form provided to you by Home Energy Scotland.
You can borrow up to £15,000 in this category for each property. There are also conditions attached to these amounts. Read Private Rented Sector Landlord loan - in detail to find out more. Some of the eligible technologies are listed below.
Maximum loan amounts available for each energy improvement:
- External/internal wall insulation: £10,000
- Gas heating system: £5,000
- Heating system (warm air units or high heat retention electric storage heaters): £5,000
- Gas connection: £5,000
- Glazing (only available for improving single glazing and not for replacing or improving existing double glazing): £4,500
- Insulated doors: £4,500
- Flat roof or room-in-roof insulation: £4,000
- Loft, floor or cavity wall insulation: £1,000
You can apply for up to two home renewable systems per property worth up to £17,500 in total, plus an energy storage system up to a maximum of £6,000. Read Private Rented Sector Landlord loan - in detail to find out more. Some of the eligible technologies are listed below.
Maximum loan amount available for each renewable system:
- Wind or hydro turbines: £2,500
- Solar photovoltaic (PV) or solar water heating systems: £5,000
- Energy storage systems (heat or electric batteries): £6,000
- Hybrid solar PV water heating systems: £7,500
- Heat pumps (air source, ground source, water source or hybrid): £10,000
- Biomass boilers and stoves: £10,000
- Connections to a renewably powered (either fully or partially) district heating scheme: £5,000
We will also review any improvements not listed above in Schedule 1 of the Energy Efficiency (Domestic Private Property) (Scotland) Regulations 2020 on a case-by-case basis.
You can also borrow up to £500 for what are known as secondary improvements. They’re not available on their own – you need to combine them with one of the energy efficiency improvements or renewables systems listed above. Examples include cylinder thermostats, heating controls or hot water jackets. Talk to our advisors to find out more. Call us on 0808 808 2280 or request a callback today.
Loans are administered by Energy Saving Trust. Successful loans are subject to an administrative fee of 1.5% of the total loan value, up to a maximum of £250. The fee will automatically be added to the loan value and included in the amount that you will need to repay. If you have five properties or fewer in your portfolio, you will not pay interest on the loan. If you have six or more properties in your portfolio, your loan will be subject to interest at 3.5% APR.
Energy Saving Trust is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. all loans are subject to availability and terms and conditions apply.
Get in touch
Call us on 0808 808 2282 or request a call back today. You can only get an application from our advisors and they'll also help with any enquiries you may have.