Warmer Homes Scotland: in detail

Everything you need to know about the Scottish Government funded Warmer Homes Scotland programme

What is the Warmer Homes Scotland programme?

The Scottish Government’s Warmer Homes Scotland programme offers funding and support to households struggling to stay warm and keep on top of energy bills.

The programme is accessed by calling Home Energy Scotland, who will check what support is available and put eligible households in touch with Warmworks, the managing agent.

Who is the programme for?

Warmer Homes Scotland is designed to help people make their homes warmer and more comfortable by installing a range of energy saving improvements. The Scottish Government is offering assistance to homeowners and private sector tenants struggling to heat their home, who have lived in their property for at least twelve months, and who meet the eligibility criteria.

What's available through the programme?

The improvements offered will depend on a survey of the property. Assessors will come to your home to survey it and will recommend improvements suitable for the property, which could include a range of insulation and heating.

In most cases all costs will be met by the Scottish Government. Please note, funding cannot be accessed for work that's already been carried out. All home improvements funded by Warmer Homes Scotland must be managed by the approved installer.

In some cases a customer contribution will be required for certain more expensive improvements, such as solid wall insulation. An interest free loan is available to help meet the costs of the customer contribution. The loan, which is managed by the Energy Saving Trust, is subject to a credit check, and successful loans will include an administration fee. Further details on the loan will be provided if your offer includes a customer contribution.

Potential improvements include:

  • Wall insulation
  • Loft insulation
  • Draught-proofing
  • Central heating (inc. new gas boilers)
  • Renewables

How does it work for private tenants?

If you are a private sector tenant your landlord will be made aware of the improvements that can be funded by the Scottish Government and which ones they may be required to fund directly. Their permission is required to be given prior to any improvements being installed.

Since 1 August 2017, restrictions have been applied to the improvements available under Warmer Homes Scotland to customers living in privately rented properties. Private Rented Sector properties covered by the statutory Repairing Standard will no longer receive improvements that a landlord is legally obliged to provide.  These customers will still be eligible for other improvements available under the programme if they are recommended for the property. For more information, speak to an advisor.

Find out more information on the repairing standard.

Who is eligible?

The eligibility criteria is summarised below.

If you do not meet the criteria for Warmer Homes Scotland you might be eligible for assistance through the interest free loan scheme or an area-based schemes near you. And if you’ve read the criteria but you’re unsure, just give us a call – we’re here to help.

  • Be homeowners or the tenants of a private-sector landlord
  • Live in the home as their main residence
  • Have lived there for at least 12 months (unless in receipt of a DS1500 certificate)
  • Live in home with an energy rating of 67 or lower and which is not more than 230 square metres in floor size
  • Live in a home that meets the tolerable living standard set out in the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 or, where the home does not meet the tolerable living standards, this will not impact on the effectiveness of the measures recommended for installation under the scheme
  • Householders must not have received support for energy efficiency improvements through Warmer Homes Scotland funding in the last five years.
  • Be of pensionable age, have no working heating system and be in receipt of a passport benefit
  • Be aged over 75 and in receipt of a passport benefit
  • Pregnant and/or have a child under 16 and in receipt of a passport benefit
  • Have a disability and be in receipt of any level of Personal Independent Payment (PIP)
  • Have a disability and be in receipt of high rate Disability Living Allowance (DLA) (care or mobility component)
  • Have a disability and be in receipt of low/medium rate Disability Living Allowance (DLA) (care or mobility component) and be in receipt of an income related benefit
  • Be a carer in receipt of Carers Allowance
  • Have been injured or disabled serving in the Armed Forces and be in receipt of Armed Forces Independence Payment/War Disablement Pension
  • Have an injury or disability from an accident or disease caused by work and be in receipt of Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.
  • Guarantee element of the Pension Credit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Universal Credit or any of the benefits due to be replaced by Universal Credit (Income Based JSA, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit)
  • Council Tax Reduction (excluding 25% discount for single occupancy)
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Higher Rate Care or Mobility components of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • War Disablement Pension
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.

How to apply

Simply call us on 0808 808 2282 or use our contact form to request a call or email back.

We'll guide you through the complete process that will include booking the survey of your property and referring you to the Warmer Homes Scotland managing agent - Warmworks Scotland.

Get in touch

Speak to an advisor to see if you're eligible for free funding to make your home warmer through the Warmer Homes Scotland programme.